Caramelised fennel and tarragon add a luscious liquorice hit, pairing perfectly with our sweet and buttery Paua Pies.
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 40 minutes
Recipe by Gretchen Lowe, My Weekend Table
Knob of butter
Good drizzle olive oil
1 bulb fennel, finely sliced (reserve the fronds)
1 tsp fennel seeds
3 garlic cloves, crushed
Small bunch of tarragon leaves, finely chopped
700g agria potatoes, peeled and finely sliced
1⁄2 cup pecorino cheese, grated
4 Chatham Island Paua Pies, thawed
1) Heat oven to 180C. Butter the inside of a medium-sized roasting dish.
2) Heat the olive oil in a frying pan over medium heat and sauté the fennel bulb and seeds for 10 minutes until lightly caramelised.
3) In a jug, combine the garlic, tarragon, cream and milk.
4) In your prepared roasting tin, add a layer of the potatoes on the bottom, followed by some of the fennel mix and a good glug of the tarragon cream mixture. Season and continue to layer the potatoes, fennel, seasoning and cream mixture. Make sure the top layer of vegetables is coated in the mixture (it may need pressing down with the back of a spoon).
5) Top with pecorino and fennel fronds.
6) Roast in the oven for 35-40 mins, or until the potatoes are tender and cooked through.
7) Add the Paua Pies to the oven and cook for 15 minutes until heated through.