Silky butterbean and sweet roasted parsnips pair perfectly with our rich ocean-flavoured Pure Paua Pies!
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
Recipe by Gretchen Lowe, My Weekend Table
5-6 large parsnips, peeled
2 tbsp olive oil, plus ⅓ cup
2 tsp cumin seeds
½ tsp chilli flakes
Salt to taste
400g can of butterbeans, drained and rinsed
1 garlic clove, grated
Zest and juice of a lemon
1 tsp hot English mustard
A little water (if too thick)
4 Chatham Island Food Co Paua Pies, thawed
1) Preheat the oven to 180°C fan bake.
2) Cut the parsnips into quarters lengthwise. Place in a single layer on a lined shallow baking tray, drizzle with 2 tbsp olive oil, cumin seeds, chilli flakes and season with sea salt.
3) Cover with foil and cook for 30 minutes or until just tender. Uncover and cook until the tops are golden.
4) Meanwhile, cook Paua Pies for 15 minutes until heated through.
5) To finish the mash - to a food processor add all but 4 parsnip pieces, remaining ⅓ cup olive oil, butterbeans, garlic, lemon juice and zest, mustard salt and pepper.
6) Blitz together to a smooth mash, adding water if needed and extra seasoning to taste.
7) Serve to four plates with a piece of roasted parsnip on top of each and a piping hot Paua Pie.
Back to Recipes