Delightfully crispy, with a delicious Chinese-inspired paua mince and crayfish filling.
Makes: 40-50 Wontons
Recipe by Michelle Tsang, Petite Sweets
INGREDIENTS200g Chatham Island Food Co Pure Paua Mince
2 Raw Chatham Island Food Co Crayfish Tails, chopped into 3-4 large pieces
2 Egg whites
2 Tbsp Light soy sauce
1 Tbsp Sesame oil
4 Tbsp Cornflour
2 tsp Salt
1 tsp White pepper, grounded
40-50 Thin wonton wrappers, store bought
- Leave paua mince and crayfish tail meat semi frozen.
- Place crayfish into a food processor and blitz at full power for 10 seconds. Scrape down the sides of the food processor, add paua mince and blitz another 10 seconds at full power.
- Add the egg whites, soy sauce, sesame oil, cornflour, salt and white pepper, and pulse to mix for 5 seconds.
- Place mixture into the bowl of an appliance that has a kneading function, for example, a bread machine, food processor or mixer with a dough hook. Knead mixture for 6-8 minutes. The mixture will become a paste - sticky and soft but not gluey.
- Place a teaspoon of mixture in the middle of a wrapper, wet the edges of the wrapper and fold diagonally to close, either into triangles or rectangles. Wet the tip of one edge and bring the edges under and around, overlapping the ends. Press to join into a wonton shape.
- Heat a deep work or sauce pan of oil, about 6cm deep minimum, to about 180°C (test with chopsticks, it's ready when you see small bubbles form at the submerged end of chopsticks). Fry wontons in batches for 3 minutes each time. Do not overcrowd the pan. Drain and serve with black vinegar and aromatic chilli oil.
The key to a good wonton filling lies in keeping ingredients cold while they are blended or mixed.
Instead of using a food processor to mince and knead, you can use the back of a large cleaver knife to smash/flatten the crayfish before chopping them into a paste with a knife. After adding the paua mince and other ingredients, use a wooden spoon to vigorously stir the ingredients in a clockwise direction for a good 5 minutes.
This recipe was created with our Pure Paua Mince & Crayfish Tails...