This is the perfect Father’s Day treat for Dad. Rich Cod with an aromatic IPA beer batter all bundled into a succulent burger. We’ve used two types of flours and ice-cold beer to ensure the fillets are light and crispy. Get the kids involved by mixing the tartare, and the batter then assembling the burgers for Dad.
Makes: 4 burgers
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Recipe by Gretchen Lowe, My Weekend Table
Crunchy Pickle & Lemon Tartare
1 cup of good mayonnaise
1⁄3 cup pickles, drained and chopped
3 tbsp capers, drained and chopped
Zest and juice of half a lemon
A small handful of Italian parsley, finely chopped
500ml sunflower oil, for deep-frying
3-4 Chatham Island Blue Cod fillets, thawed and patted dry (if you’d like smaller burgers, cut fillets in half)
1⁄2 cup rice flour
4 burger buns
8 crispy lettuce leaves (we used cos lettuce)}
Crispy IPA Batter
3⁄4 cup plain flour
1⁄4 cup rice flour
1 1⁄4 tsp baking powder
Good pinch salt
1 cup ice-cold IPA beer (or lager)
1) For the tartare sauce, mix all ingredients together, season to taste with salt and pepper and set aside.
2) Dredge the blue cod fillets in rice flour, season with sea salt and set aside.
3) To make the batter, tip both flours and salt into a bowl, then pour over the beer. Mix quickly until just combined with the consistency of double cream – don’t over-beat (a few lumps are fine). Use immediately as you want it cold.
4) Heat the oil in a large wide pan, approximately two-thirds full. The oil is hot enough when a drizzle of batter crisps in less than a minute.
5) Working quickly, dredge the first 1-2 Cod fillets through the batter, holding each above the bowl to let the excess drip back into it, then carefully lower into the oil. Repeat with the remaining fillets.
6) Fry each fillet for about 4 minutes, turning once, until deep golden and crisp. Carefully lift onto a plate lined with a paper towel to drain.
7) To assemble the burgers, warm the rolls then split each in half and spread both the top and bottom generously with the tartare sauce. Place lettuce on the bottom half, and then a cod fillet.
Serve straight away.
This recipe was created with our award-winning Chatham Blue Cod...
Back to Recipes