Here’s a super simple recipe and a New Zealand twist on the UK’s beloved fish and mushy peas recipe. The peas are delicious and fragrant and don’t even require a stovetop. They pair perfectly with our pan seared buttery Chatham Blue Cod topped with lemon and crunchy wasabi peas. Yum!
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 6 minutes
Serves: 4 (hungry people)
Recipe by Gretchen Lowe, My Weekend Table
4 x pieces Chatham Island Blue Cod, thawed and patted dry
2 tbsp flour
⅓ cup olive oil
4 tbsp butter
400g frozen baby peas
4-5 kaffir lime leaves, roughly chopped
Small garlic clove
⅓ cup coconut cream
2-3 tsp fish sauce (or more to taste)
½ cup wasabi peas, roughly chopped (optional)
- Pour boiling water over frozen peas and let sit for 2 minutes (this keeps them nice and green rather than stove top boiling)
- In a food processor add half the peas with all other ingredients. Blend to a rough puree
- Pulse in remaining peas (you want them just blended but mostly whole) and season to taste with salt, pepper and extra fish sauce, set aside while to cook the blue cod.
- Coat the blue cod in flour and season with salt and pepper
- Heat half the olive oil in a heavy based pan. Add the blue cod (in batches of two) and let sizzle on one side until golden for 2-3 minutes
- Carefully flip the fillets and add half the butter. Cook another 2 minutes or so basting throughout. Repeat process with remaining fillets adding more butter and oil if required
- Serve on top of mushy peas, add crushed wasabi peas, lemon juice and a drizzle of olive oil if you wish
This recipe was created using our award-winning Chatham Island Blue Cod...
Back to Recipes